Friday, November 30, 2012

More (Super Weird) Thoughts on Growing Up...

When I was little, I was a worrier (who am I kidding? I still am...) I worried about everything, big, small, important, unimportant. That's just how I was (am). Funnily enough though, one day, I kind of looked at things differently. I just decided that some of those things were just things that you learn to do as you get older, and definitely NOT something to worry about back then. Some of those things were important, and some were not. Believe me, I still worried (worry) about a lot of things, but a few of them just turned into things that I "would learn when I was older". 
Two of those worries in particular come to mind, and I can vividly remember thinking about them. 
The first was Learning to Drive. I remember so well, sitting in the car and panicking that I didn't know which pedal was gas and which was brake. Panicking big time. I think I was 9. Seriously? at NINE years old, I was worried about learning how to drive... Not something your average child worries (or even thinks) about. But, after stressing and thinking about it for what felt like forever, I finally realized "This is something that I'll learn when I grow up" and you know what? I did. I passed my exam and have been driving for 10 years now (holy cow! 10 years?!)
(I could have sworn that I had a photo of me in my first Civic, somewhere on this computer, but alas, no luck).

The second "When I grow up" moment is something that is SO ridiculous, and yet, at the same time, so fitting for this rainy day. When I was younger, I had the.worst.hair.ever. I mean worst. It's thick, wavy/curly, and uber frizzy. My mom had it chopped short for gymnastics because I refused to let her brush/comb/touch it because it was so unruly, and it would hurt so bad. We had many a fight over hair brushes and I remember screaming bloody murder just having her try to untangle it. One day, after several years of this (thanks Mom):

And this (again, thanks so much Mom):

(Sorry Sammi for dragging you into this also)

I finally came to the conclusion that learning how to "do" and manage my crazy hair was something that I would learn "when I was older" 
Well, now I'm older and I'm still learning how to deal with it.. Don't get me wrong, I've come a LONG way. I have some good hair days, thanks to some miracle products (and a million headbands for the not so good days:
Bouncy Cream by ISO was recommended to me by a friend, and it's the BEST for curly hair.

It's a 10 Leave In Conditioner is my new favorite go to. I spray it on when my hair's wet, and again when/if I blow dry or straighten

Most days though, including this rainy Friday, I revert to my childhood roots (haha roots... get it?) and leave the house like this

I guess it's proof that even when you're "grown up" you still have things to learn...
Happy Friday! 
xo,
R







No comments:

Post a Comment