Monday, November 12, 2012

My Favorite Movies... The Classic and the Ridiculous

I'll admit, I do not have the most mature, refined taste in movies. I am very particular about the types of films I watch. I don't like movies that: are violent, scary, too deep, too sad, too depressing (different than sad), too dramatic, or too bloody. I like movies that are: funny, romantic, adventurous, smart, and most of the time, kid-friendly. This need to keep things light-hearted stems from my over-active brain and the fact that I stress, obsess, and cry over the slightest things, especially in movies or books. I've been known to stay up all night reading a book, and sob through the whole thing. So when I watch a movie, I'd rather not do that. Therefore, I avoid most of the above, and stick to things that are full of fluff and happy things. (Yes, I know this is a terrible way to live my life, and I'm sure I'm missing out on tons of amazing films... but I prefer to keep my head in the clouds and have control over this one piece of my life.)
That being said, one of my most favorite movies of all time is...
Yep, I know, me and a million others.
But here's why: 
It's a love story (but not a sad one)
There's adventure (but not too dramatic)
It's funny (Billy Crystal, anyone?)
It's suspenseful (but SO not scary... 1987 Special Effects speak for themselves)
And, it has a happy ending...
Plus, who can resist Fred Savage as the Grandson? Priceless...
So, until Saturday night, Andrew had not seen this piece of cinematic amazingness... (along with Mary Poppins, Grease, Charlottes Web, and so many others!) so we watched it. He, unlike me, has a very refined palette when it comes to films. Art documentaries (Helvetica), literary classics (A Clockwork Orange), and anything by Wes Anderson (a favorite of mine as well) would be on his Netflix que. 
So we finally sat down together on Saturday night to watch The Princess Bride... Me with a cup of tea, and him with an Old-Fashioned. The consensus? For ONCE, he actually enjoyed a movie that I chose. Definitely up there on his list. Success! I finally picked one that didn't make him roll his eyes and say "Seriously, Rach? THIS is what you picked?"
So yay me... And here's a list of my favorite movies... in no particular order, ranging from the Classics to the Ridiculous.

The Princess Bride
Mary Poppins
Liberty Heights
An American Tale
Grease
Charlottes Web
Out Cold
Rushmore
American Pie (1-3)
Harry Potter (1-7)
The Fantastic Mr. Fox
Slackers
Accepted
Band Slam
Because I said So
The Holiday
The Polar Express
The Nightmare Before Christmas

I'm sure there are more to add to this list of unsurpassed cinematic genius... But there's just a taste of my expertise...
xo,
R



No comments:

Post a Comment