Monday, November 26, 2012

Thanksgiving Part 1: A Recap...

So, I know I said I'd be back last Thursday to write about the project I mentioned at the end of This Post, but I got a little sidetracked. Thanksgiving weekend was crazy town in our house, in fact, we got home last night, after being at my parents from Thursday morning on... But nonetheless, here's a recap of the crazy crazy weekend:

Thursday: Turkey Trot, Thanksgiving (27 people crammed in my parents living room)
Friday: Black Friday Shopping (no 2 am business for me, though)
Saturday: Family Photos & Early Hanukkah (the whole fam comes in town so we celebrate early)
Sunday: My Family Bridal Shower (a better post on that later this week)

Crazy town, right? But, we love it. There's lots of food, laughs (alcohol), and drama, but it's family. Wouldn't trade it for the world.

Wednesday during the day, I decided that baking Granny Howlett's chocolate pie wasn't enough of a challenge for me, and I wanted to try something I had seen on Reading My Tea Leaves. Erin posted the super simple (so I thought) instructions on how to make Boiled Apple Cider Syrup. Perfect! (I thought): Only 1 ingredient and 1 step... How hard could it be?!
The gist of it all is that you basically boil down a bottle of apple cider until the water evaporates and it turns into syrup, which you can then put on pie, ice cream, or in the case of my idea: Bourbon.

I picked up a pack of 4 small Ball jars to put the syrup in, and planned on making a little gift by adding a small bottle of Bourbon and a bottle of soda water to make This Recipe

I just dumped the whole bottle in and let it go

Erin was right when she said it would take hours. It looked exactly like this from the moment I poured it in, for almost 1.5 hours. 

I don't have a photo of my finished product for this batch. Why, you might ask? It's because after 2.5 hours, it finally was reduced to like 2 inches, but wasn't thick, so I decided I had time to change clothes and get ready for work. Well, in that 3 minutes that I was getting ready, the damn syrup burned! It was the consistency of molasses, and smelled like burned sugar. So in the sink the whole pot went, and Andrew was given strict instructions to try it when HE got home, and to guard it with his life, especially the last 2 inches...
Here's his finished product

2 jars of cider boiled down to these 4 little jars. We tried the cocktail linked above and success! A great fall drink, with only a few simple ingredients. So, thanks to Andrew, my 2nd project of Thanksgiving Eve was a go.
I'll be back later with more recaps from Turkey Weekend 2012!
xo,
R






No comments:

Post a Comment