Thursday, December 20, 2012

A Little Wonky...

I LOVE to bake and cook. LOVE it. Unfortunately, I'm not great at it. My goodies, no matter which recipe I follow, always turn out a little wonky. I'm not sure why. For example, the Boiled Apple Cider Syrup I made either burned, or turned out too runny... Don't get me wrong, we still used it runny, but it wasn't exactly how it was supposed to be. 
I always think of these "Pinterest Fail" photos when I mess something up...

It's kind of the story of my food creation life...

Some of the wonkiness may come also from the fact that I have to substitute ingredients because of my lactose intolerance. Last week, I was craving fudge. So I found a recipe online for a standard Peanut Butter Chocolate fudge. Perfect! I thought, I had everything on hand, even my vegan butter.
Well, it smelled and tasted great, except for one problem...
The oil-based fake butter doesn't harden. So my fudge was more like frosting, no matter how long or how cold it got.
It kinda looked like this...

Wonky, again. 
(I just love these photos!)
So, when I was thinking about what I wanted to gift people for the holidays, I was having a hard time deciding. I couldn't think of anything to craft, All baked goods are bound to turn out a little off, and I didn't want to spend a ton of money on alcoholic beverages. I was pretty bummed out, but then yesterday, I had a great idea... I finally figured out something that I'm pretty versed in, tastes good, and is REALLY hard to screw up...
I made a few samples yesterday, and they turned out pretty awesome... 
I'm pretty proud of myself, actually...

I'll post about it when I make them all pretty, and actually take photos!
xo,

No comments:

Post a Comment