Thursday, December 27, 2012

Dumplings for Christmas Eve Eve!

We got the most awesome wedding gift last week in the mail from my cousins in Florida! 
I decided we needed a Wok, so at the last minute, I registered for this awesome gift set from Sur la Table. It came with a steamer and a dumpling press! 

It came last weekend and we were dying to use it. So, dumplings for dinner, it was!
I went online and found a recipe, and found it it's SUPER easy. All I needed was
Ground Pork
Shrimp (chopped)
Soy Sauce
Peanut Oil
Green Onions
Pepper
Ginger (grated)
and Won Ton Wrappers.
Easy, right? Well, Whole Foods had everything I needed, except the won ton wrappers. Neither did Trader Joe's, or Lazy Acres. Awesome. So I went back online and found out that won ton wrappers are made from two things:
Hot Water
Flour
SO easy. 
So I made the dough, and while I did that, I prepped the filling.

Once the filling was ready, I used the circular side of the press and cut out my dough 

Laid it on the press

Put a small scoop of filling on it

And closed it up!

Here they are laid out on the steamer basket... 

Then, the steamer basket gets placed on the wok, which has 1/2 inch of water in it

They steam for 8-10 minutes and then you have these!
Dumplings!

Surprisingly, they were pretty perfect. I could have made the dough a little thinner, but still super good. Next time, I think I'm going to try a gluten free flour, and maybe a chicken filling, to see if I can make them Mom and Sammi friendly. With a little cucumber salad and Nigori Sake, it made for a pretty great, and mostly healthy meal!
(Sorry for the horrible photos - as usual...)
xo,
R




No comments:

Post a Comment