Friday, December 21, 2012

Homemade Holiday Gifts!

So, I promised yesterday that I would be back with a post about my holiday gifts, and here I am. With photos... bad ones, of course, but photos!
As I said before, I'm not a great cook/baker, so I decided to make something edible that doesn't have to be cooked, baked, or anything of the sort. I have to say, I'm pretty impressed with how they turned out.
It all started with my love of tea. 
I'm not a coffee drinker, I can't do the caffeine, and I'm not a huge fan of the flavor, really.
But I love tea. I love black, white, green, herbal, chamomile, mint, etc. Basically any kind of tea you can make, I'll drink.
I love tea. I've been buying loose green tea for a while and steeping it myself, adding honey or sugar, or even lemon juice. Most of the mixes turn out pretty great.
So, for my gifts, I decided to buy a bunch of loose tea leaves and herbs and mix them myself.
SO easy, and SO good.
I went to the new Lazy Acres market, knowing they sold bulk herbs and spices, and stood in front of the display for a long time, trying to decide which combinations I wanted to try.
Here's what I ended up with:

Chamomile Flowers
White Tea Leaves
China Green Tea Leaves
Rosebuds
Lavender
Fennel
Hibiscus Flower
Peppermint Leaves
I had the T-Sac teabags already
(FYI: bulk spices are usually pretty inexpensive. I think I spent 15 cents on one of them!)

Basically I just made different combinations with a tea base (Chamomile, White, Green) and a flavor (any of the other herbs) 
I played with the amounts and added or subtracted until I got the flavor I wanted.
Then I tied a piece of green thread around it with a little label of the flavor.

Then I picked 3 different flavors, put them in a mason jar topped with parchment and tied with one of the pinecone gift tags that I got from one of the blogs I read... I swear I can't remember which!

So there you have it... My crafty, homemade, no bake/cook holiday gifts!
Happy Happy Holidays Everyone!
xo,
R

No comments:

Post a Comment