Monday, December 10, 2012

The First Night of Hanukkah...

Saturday night was the first night of Hanukkah! Andrew wasn't raised Jewish, but we celebrate both holidays this time of the year. It's my FAVORITE season, and I love the we get to celebrate a little of everything.
Our menorahs! 
Andrew's is in the front, I gave it to him last year for the first night.
Mine is the back one from when I was younger...

The last 3 years, our tradition has been to spend the first night together, just the two of us, make dinner, and watch a movie. This year's movie was The Holiday, one of my favorites, and one Andrew actually enjoys as well.
 Last year and the year before I made chicken for dinner.
This year, I decided to go all out and made my very first brisket. Now, I did it in the crockpot, so it wasn't that in depth... but I used my moms recipe, so it was definitely authentic. I also bought the ingredients to make latkes. At the last minute though, we ended up buying Trader Joe's frozen ones. (If you've ever made latkes in your house, you know the benefits of NOT making them)
Plus, Saturday was also the Holiday Show at work, so I was in no mood to shred potatoes and onions...
The Trader's ones are pretty good! A little denser, but still the same flavor as homemade... 
I know this is a TERRIBLE and horribly unappetizing photo, but here it is!
The brisket turned out awesome, and the latkes definitely did the job.

Along with dinner, we made drinks. We picked up the ingredients for my favorite drink from 320 Main, the Virginia Dare. We hadn't made them before, but they turned out just as good as the ones at the bar!

Andrew approves...

We exchanged gifts, and for some reason, I don't have any photos of them! I got Andrew a jump rope (so he can finally learn double-unders for crossfit) and new running socks, and he got me a new Lululemon jacket. Funny how both of our gifts ended up being centered around working out... Great minds...
Happy Hanukkah!
xo,
R







No comments:

Post a Comment