Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Making our Terrarium

Terrariums are so.cool. I know, I'm such a follower... They're popping up everywhere... And I mean everywhere.
We were lucky enough to receive an empty one as a wedding gift from some dear friends, and I know I posted a photo of the finished product a few weeks ago, but I wanted to show the (insanely easy) steps of how we got there... I mean seriously, so easy, I don't even need to post them, but I'm going to anyway...
You need a few things:

A glass vessel

Sand (preferably of the Horticultural variety)

And (Sorry, the last photo gave it away)
Plants.
You can use air plants or succulents... I chose succulents

First step is to pour the sand into the vessel. You can decide how much sand to use, but make sure you have enough to cover any roots you may plant.

I really like how the sand looks, so I used a fair amount.

Then, I carefully poked small holes in the sand for the plants to sit in. Succulents usually take pretty quickly so you don't have to worry a ton about the hole size.

I used 3 different plants, that all looked similar to make sure it was cohesive.

A few smooth river rocks finished her off, with a nice polished look.

Finished! (Andrew said it needs a hermit crab.)

Seriously, one of the easiest projects I've done around the house and let me tell you, totally worth it. I think we spent about $12 combined on everything, excluding the gifted vessel.
Such a simple detail, and  you get a finished product that adds SO much to this corner of our house.

Thanks so much K & R for the lovely gift. We really appreciate it so much!

xo,
R








No comments:

Post a Comment