Four.

I was really kind of planning on trying to "blog" every day. But then I realized, I think that's why I got burned out on writing before. Trying to force myself to find something interesting to write about was taxing and made me feel boring and pointless. Like I said before, no one (not even myself) cared about the smoothie I made for breakfast. If I didn't have anything interesting to say, why was I saying anything at all?

That said, I still feel like I need to put SOME effort into sitting down and writing. My life may not be that exciting, but I still need to try and put pen to paper (or whatever the 2018 version is) and get my thoughts out. It's cathartic, and no matter if anyone reads them, at least they're out of my head.

I'm exhausted. I'm pregnant, working, and negotiating with an opinionated 3 year old all day. And I'm not sleeping. It's hard to even think about putting shoes on in the morning, let alone being creative and clever for others to read. But, here I am, promising I won't just bitch and moan in every post because, who wants to read that? I know I don't.

I used to read way more blogs and websites than I do now. My mornings used to consist of devouring every lifestyle and food blog I could find, then eventually once I became a mom, all the mommy bloggers. I loved the glimpses into other peoples lives; the beautiful photos they posted and the hilarious stories they told. I reveled in buying the same spice jars they owned, DIY'ing the same projects, and felt super special when I made the same cocktails they drank. Social media became more prevalent and I added Instagram scrolling to my repertoire, and then something switched for me in the last year.

I started to feel resentful. I was jealous of the free things they received, and the perfect photos started to feel fake. It was right around the time I was building my business, and I started to feel really bad about myself and my brand. My photos didn't ever seem as beautiful, I wasn't getting the accolades, and I certainly wasn't hitting thousands of followers. My beautiful leather handbags were getting a third of the likes of someones damn cup of coffee. It became really frustrating and I wanted less and less to do with it. I got in my own head, and honestly, it took a long time to get out.

I started checking social media less and less, and unfollowing people that I had a hard time with. I found myself wanting to see more of what MY friends were doing, rather than the beautiful people of the inter webs. I unfollowed people that I didn't know personally, and didn't post anything relevant to my life. My husband has this saying, that I can't for the life of me remember where he got it, that we've boiled down to "ideas, not people". Basically "worry about ideas and thoughts, and not people around you".

To me, social media had become about the "people" and not the "ideas", and I was letting it take over my life. It took me stepping back and not focusing so much on the people aspect to remind me what was important. I realized that I didn't WANT to be one of the "people", and honestly, that's part of the reason I struggled with my business (but that's a whole other post). Don't get me wrong, I still scroll and post to the IG on the regular, but as much as I try to post the pretty photos, I don't feel the need to filter every event. The photos are more for me, my family, and my Timehop feed 3 years from now. Our life is real, sometimes (ahem, a lot of the time) it's messy, and not just mom-bun-and-perfect-brows messy, either.

Comments

Popular Posts